Malmesbury Primary Care Centre has a well-established and dedicated Team ready to offer and arrange non-medical support, especially for the vulnerable and isolated members of the community, both in the town and in the surrounding villages.
Given these extraordinary times, and our wish to build on this support, we have identified urgent and immediate roles for volunteers to work alongside our health professionals. Our aim is to help people living alone, with no family or friends locally, to meet day to day challenges and maintain their independence and well-being.
The activities you could undertake as a volunteer might include:
- Helping individuals attend health appointments and collect prescriptions
- Joining individuals in physical activities, like going for a local walk
- Helping individuals make connections with others
- Visiting individuals for a chat, company, companionship and bereavement support
- Participating in one-to-one activities for fun and to stimulate mental and cognitive functioning (for example, puzzles and reminiscence)
- Enabling individuals to read books and newspapers and make use of the library
- Helping with paperwork, errands, shopping and organising meals
- Helping with pet care (e.g. dog-walking)
- Helping with basic maintenance and gardening (for example, changing a light bulb or mowing the lawn)
- Helping with transport, for example, following hospitalisation
All in a Covid Safe Way/ observing the current Covid safe precautions.
Your volunteering can be on a flexible basis – but it is essential you consistently keep to any commitments you make to help.
If you do volunteer you will be joining a great, growing and supportive team. As well as having fun you will be contributing to improving the well-being of those in need within our community.
To find out more and discuss how you can join in, please contact Lisa Hepworth, Community Care Co-Ordinator, Wiltshire Health and Care, Malmesbury Primary Care Centre: Priory Road, Malmesbury, SN16 0FB.
Phone: 01666 827559